Are you at a place in your life where you’re ready to put down solid roots, but not ready to leave the city? We get it. As one of Indy’s most reputable downtown custom homebuilders, our H·E Homes team has years of experience designing unique custom homes in some of the city’s most desirable spots.
By building downtown, you have the opportunity EMERGE yourself in Indianapolis’ rich tradition, ENTICE yourself with a thriving community and ENTERTAIN the way you want while living in a custom home you’ll love for years to come. Here’s why you should build close to the hustle and bustle of the city:
- Job Opportunities. The job market is HOT in Indianapolis! According to bestplaces.net, Indianapolis has seen a job market increase of 2.5% over the last year and future job growth is expected to sit at 37.5% — the US average is 33.5%.
- Cost of Living. Indianapolis is a large city with a small-town feel. The cost of living in Indy is 8% lower than the national average, which means you don’t have to sacrifice your paycheck for quality of life. Housing is 19% lower than the national average, so it would be wasteful NOT to build a custom home downtown.
- Education. Indianapolis is a hub for higher education and home to award-winning schools. You can’t turn a corner without bumping into one of the city’s renowned institutions, including Butler University, University of Indianapolis, Marian University, IUPUI and Herron High School. The opportunity for academic achievement makes downtown Indianapolis a valuable piece of the cultural puzzle.
- Central Travel. Indiana is the Crossroads of America for a reason – you can go anywhere easily! Downtown Indianapolis offers easy routes to several major highways. Take I-70 West to St. Louis, I-65 North to Chicago, I-65 South to Louisville... you get the idea.
- Gameday. Whether you’re a Hoosier at heart and love basketball or enjoy watching the Colts, downtown is the place for you. The Indianapolis sport scene is constantly growing and welcoming new professional sport teams every year. From football and basketball to soccer and hockey, there’s a sport for everyone! By residing in the area, you completely bypass the crazy highway traffic and can fully immerse yourself in the gameday spirit.
- Community Festivals. Indianapolis residents are VERY passionate about their neighborhoods. When you build a custom home in downtown Indy, you are grandfathered into a close-knit community of likeminded people and can immerse yourself in a neighborhood full of life and culture! Indianapolis is home to plenty of popular events, including:
- The Talbot Street Art Fair
- The Irvington Halloween Festival
- Indy Film Fest
- And so much more!
- Theatre. Theatre is alive and well in downtown Indianapolis, and you can catch shows at The District Theatre, the Indiana Repertory Theatre and the Phoenix Theatre Cultural Centre. If you’re “so over” going to the movies, take in the classic art form that has been perfected over centuries.
- Food and Drink. The restaurant scene is everchanging and ALWAYS relevant in downtown Indy. Trendy bars, gastropubs, wineries and distilleries line Mass Avenue and the surrounding streets. You can enjoy a glass of California Wine from Peacewater Winery before stopping at The Garage in Bottleworks for a bite to eat. If you’re craving something sweet, pop on over to Macaroon Bar for a delightfully delicious treat and end the evening at West Fork Whiskey for a classic nightcap.
- Nightlife. Spend your Saturday nights out with friends making memories or stay in your cozy custom-built living room — we won’t judge. For those who want a night out on the town, Indianapolis is the city for you. From jazz clubs and lounges to nightclubs and bars, there’s a social setting for everyone.
- Farmer’s Markets. Unfortunately, nights don’t last forever. Eventually, the sun must come up. Take a minute to hydrate after your night out and make your way to the market for some fresh food, seasonal flowers, local art and neat trinkets. Here are some of our favorites:
- Indianapolis City Market
- Indy Winter Farmer’s Market
- Irvington Farmer’s Market
- The Market at White River State Park
- Broad Ripple Farmer’s Market
- Historic Parks. If you’re in need of a little green space, and maybe some history, downtown has several beautiful parks you can walk around. Pack a cute little picnic and set up shop in White River State Park, or take some time to embark on a nice, calm walk in Military Park. Even better, you can make the historic Herron-Morton Place Park part of your backyard. Our three move-in ready, low-maintenance homes at Cornerstone on Central put you right next to the beautiful space.
At H·E Homes, every home we build is catered toward the unique lifestyles and personal needs of our clients. We believe in making luxury more affordable and crafting stunning homes that allow you to truly EMBRACE every downtown opportunity. If you’re ready to create a custom home with affordable customer home builders who want to help you live your best downtown Indianapolis life, let your search end with us.
We have beautiful homesites and move-in ready properties available now in the historic Sheldon on 16th and Herron-Morton neighborhoods, or we can build a custom home on a lot of your choice. No matter your preference, let the downtown living experts at H·E Homes help you become an Indianapolis custom homeowner.